If you are like me and live in Canada (or any other restrictive country), you probably have seen the limitations we face when trying to access certain websites that are only available to the US. Sites like HULU, Netflicks (us), Spotify, Pandora and the list goes on. We can go to them, but we cant actually use them.
A while ago I as trying to find a solution to this problem, as I would like to cut off my cable and stream all tv watching from my pc. It would save me HUGE money every month. I also realllllly wanted to be able to join Spotify as I am a music junky, but alas all I could find as information on VPNs with protocols, encryption levels and so much technical jargin my head was spinning. If I don’t understand what I am adding to my computer, I simply don’t add it. I may spend half my life in front of my computer, but I am not overly tech savy. And to understand VPNs and all the jazz was mind boggling. So I gave up. Until now.
Enter stage left —> TunnelBear! A beary beary helpful app for people like me. TunnelBear is a VPN service that offers a beary simple approach on VPN service. And I mean SIMPLE! TunnelBear is totally different to any VPN service I have seen. Everything about it is very minimal and can be installed and used with a few clicks of a mouse and only a couple minutes of your time, offering private free access to the global Internet with ease. Meaning: You can access the internet as if you were in a different country. Your options are: United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Japan, France, Netherlands and Italy. Beary Cool right?
TunnelBear can be downloaded and used on your PC, Mac, Android device and Apple device. As well as allowing you to access certain sites, it also helps you to browse safely and securely. TunnelBear allows you use the internet without anyone knowing where you are. Your internet connection is diverted through their secured tunnels. It is as if you’re doing it from the country you selected, instead of the country you are in.
Some reasons for why you might want to use TunnelBear:
● Unblock Pandora / Spotify when you’re traveling or out of the country
● Use TunnelBear to unblock sports feeds for Soccer, NHL, MLB and NFL
● Unblock Netflix / Hulu / BBC iPlayer when you’re traveling or out of the country
● Vote for contestants on reality shows when you’re outside of the country
● Keep yourself safe while using public wifi networks
How to use TunnelBear:
- Download it FREE on your perferred device from their website. It only takes minutes and is very easy to walk through. I did it w ith my own bear hands! (ok ok, enough bear puns..lol)
- Once it is installed, turn it on
- Then select which country (tunnel) you would like to use. You can switch countries at any time, as well as turn off TunnelBear by simply clicking -> off.
- And youre off and running! That’s it. You are now securely browsing the internet via a VPN!
- FREE: TunnelBear offers users 500MBs of free data each month. You can also get 1GB of free data by sending out a simple tweet via their twitter promotion. There is a gauge that lets you know how many MBs you have used so you will never be left wondering. I will say it did not take me long to blow through 500MBs….I was over excited to check out all of the websites I had been missing out on.
- Unlimited: $4.99 per month – Pretty straight forward. Get unlimited tunneling for you pc or mac plus 2 additional mobile devices. Compare that to your cable bill and that’s a steal!
- $49.99 per year – If you want to save even more money, pay for a year up front for unlimited tunneling. I like that they don’t automatically renew you after the 12 months.
- It is also possible to purchase a “mobile only” TunnelBear subscription, with prices ranging from $2.99 per month to $29.99 per year.
- Payment options are: Visa, MasterCard and PayPal.
So final verdict? This app is awesome! Its super straight forward, incredibly easy to use, does what it says and is priced low. Im beary happy with it. Oh! Did I mention they are also based out of Canada? Yup! The “bear cave” is in Toronto. If you would like to find out more, check out their website . To stay up to date on all their promotions and updates follow them on Facebook and Twitter. Dont forget about their Twitter promotion for an extra free GB! You can find our more about that on their site. If you are like me an like a visual explanation, they have a ton of videos you can check out for info here. . Happy tunneling.